Rey Don Pedro Alcázar
It is located to the west of the walled enclosure and at the highest point in Carmona.
It might have been built in Muslim times, specifically in the 12th century, but there is no archaeological evidence to confirm it. It is rectangular and is defended in the north and west by a moat.
This entire complex is accessed through a large pointed horseshoe arch. Inside the enclosure, once the door is passed, you enter the guardroom that leads to the Patio de Armas (Arms courtyard). This courtyard is a rectangular space. There are three lines of wall. The one that encloses the courtyard, is reinforced with several towers, including the Torre del Homenaje (Homage Tower).
In the 14th century, King Peter ordered craftsmen from Seville to build several towers and an outer gate, and also to decorate the interior, turning the fortress into a sumptuous palace. However, no remains of the plasterwork and marble columns that were installed can be seen nowadays.
The reasons for this destruction are largely due to the different earthquakes Carmona suffered in 1504 and 1755. The latter, the so-called Lisbon earthquake, caused such deterioration that it led to the abandonment of the fortress.
Nowadays, the Parador of Carmona has been built in one of its corners, which follows an aesthetic similar to the Mudejar style.
Address: Los Alcázares, no number.